This is the best Sfouf recipe ever!
I’ve been trying to get the perfect sfouf for some time now, almost all the recipes I tried came out not so good. Some recipes use all-purpose flour alone, some use semolina, others use a mix of both. With butter rather than oil, with milk and many other combinations.
So here’s my own combination that came out to be a recipe truly to die for.
Try it out and let me know your feedback.
- o 2 – 3 cups boiling water
- o 2 tablespoons aniseed
- o 2 cups Ferkha flour (some call it very fine semolina)
- o 2 cups all-purpose flour
- o 2 tablespoons turmeric powder
- o 2 tablespoons baking powder
- o 1 1/4 cups sugar
- o 1 cup vegetable oil
- o 2 tablespoons Tahina (for the pan) or baking paper
- o Sesame Seeds for the decoration
- 1. Add the aniseeds to the water and boil for 5 minutes. Keep aside for another five minutes then strain.
- 2. Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- 3. Mix the ferkha flour, all-purpose flour, turmeric powder, sugar and baking powder.
- 4. Add oil and anis water to the dry ingredients, then mix well. Add more water if needed. The batter should not be too thick. Rather sticky and soft.
- 5. Cover the bottom and sides of your pan with tahina, so the batter won’t stick on it; or use baking paper.
- 6. Decorate with sesame seeds.
- 7. Bake for 30 - 40 min (depending on your oven), or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- 8. Cool.
- 9. Cut into square. You’ll get fluffy and mouthwatering sfouf.
- Store in an airtight container, or else the sfouf will dry out.
An easy and quick homemade jam to make this season!
It famous in Lebanon with roasted sesame seeds. It makes a wonderful treat with bicuits or arabic bread and butter 🙂 Sometimes served topped with walnuts.
Have you ever tried preparing itat home? |Share with us your thoughts!
There is nothing better than old home cooking!
I’ve participated in “Recette de Vie” recipe book, which was launched earlier this month in Lebanon.
Recette de Vie is a Lebanese recipe book with a collection of more than 200 original recipes from the friends and family of Authors Maissa Abou Adal Ghanem and Ghia Khayat Hawari, all of whom share culinary secrets and tasty treats.
… and that’s the best part!!! All proceeds will be distributed to charities that defend the rights of women and children 🙂
The book is available in two languages: English and French and can be found at the below bookstores – Lebanon:
• Librairie Stephan, Achrafieh
• Librairie Orientale, Achrafieh
• L’Artisan du Liban, Saifi
• L’Artisan du Liban, Clemenceau
• Sel & Poivre, Sofil
• Librairie Alphabet, Jounieh and
• Librairie Maliks, all point of sales
• Orthopedic and Sport Clinic (OSC), Aantari
• Aziz, Aantari
• Aziz, Zalka
• Les Caves de TAillevent, Jardins de Tabaris, Achrafieh
• AUB museum Shop, bliss street
• Bulthaup store
• The studio, Beit Mery
Maissa and Ghia will be launching the book in “London”; check the link for more details.
Keep up the great work and best of luck to Maissa and Ghia. Show them the support and add this amazing book to your library.
When we were kids, my mom used to prepare layered Charlotte Cake with jello and cream. As time passed by I started searching for varied recipes of Charlotte Cake as I loved “Ladyfingers” including fruits, cheese, cream etc. and so I reached the best, easiest and most delicious Charlotte cake recipe with fruits.
Preparation mode: No Bake Cake
Preparation time: 20 Minutes
Number of people: 15 people
• 850 can Fruit Salad (Chopped Fruits in Juice)
• 400g (4 packets) Ladyfingers
• 250 ml Pineapple Juice
• 1 Sheet Gelatin
• 1 tsp cognac
• 1 L Whipping Cream (liquid)
• 3/4 cup Sugar
• 1 tsp Vanilla
1- The cream: Add the whipping cream, sugar and vanilla in a mixer and mix until a fluffy cream is formed. Fridge.
2- Drain the fruits from the juice.
3- Take the fruit juice and add to it the pineapple juice in a separate bowel with a teaspoon of cognac
4- Add the gelatine sheet in cold water for few minutes, then microwave until the gelatine melts.
5- Add the gelatine to the juice and mix to homogenize
6- Use a cheesecake pan to prepare the Charlotte Cake
7- Dip the ladyfingers in the juice and stack one after the other on the sides of the pan, then fill in the bottom.
Ie. All the ladyfingers used in the cake are dipped in juice.
8- The add 3 layer of ladyfingers > cream > fruits; until the tip of the sides
9- Fridge for 30 minutes.
10- To prepare the topping: mix ¼ cup jello with 2 tablespoons of strawberry jam and add on the top.
11- Decorate to taste with cream.
12- Fridge for few hours then remove the sides of the cheesecake pan and serve cold.
Personal tips: Add 1 sheet of gelatine to the dipping juice as it will keep the cake together.
This recipe appeared in the book “Recette De Vie”, which was launched to 2014 to support women and children charities.