Kibbeh Bil Kishik, an authentic traditional Lebanese dish.
From the name, you might think it’s a hard and sophisticated recipe; on the contrary, this recipe is extremely easy. Always have some kibbeh balls prepared before hand in your freezer and the rest will be done in just 10 minutes.
You can find kishik in pantry shops or order it from some villages. The one I used for this recipe, I ordered it from a relative living in a village called “Qartaba”- Jbeil district.
- - 1 cup kishik
- - 5 or 6 cups water
- - 10 kibbeh balls (prepared before hand for the freezer)
- - 1 onion, chopped
- - 10 garlic cloves, chopped
- - 4 to 5 cabbage leaves, chopped
- - 1 tablespoon olive oil
- - salt to taste
- 1. Boil the kibbeh balls in water with some salt (half cooked).
- 2. Saute the onions, garlic and cabbage with olive oil.
- 3. Add the kishik powder and stir until the kishik color gets a bit golden.
- 4. Add the water and salt. Boil until the kishik thickens, around 30 minutes.
- The kishik sauce thickness depends on taste. If you love it thick, boil it further, if not then 30 minutes will do. I usually don't like it too thick (more of soup like).